Crop Stop 2 and the Collaboration with the Solar Decathlon Team

20150121_133654 20150123_134128 20150123_135005 20150123_142554 20150123_151113 20150123_172723 20150123_173122 20150124_113637 20150124_114645 20150124_114649 20150124_114656 20150124_114708 20150124_120546 20150124_120548 20150124_161651 20150124_161656 20150124_161658 20150124_165929 20150124_165937 20150124_172624 20150124_172635 20150125_110238 20150125_110252 20150125_110258 20150125_110852 20150125_111717 20150125_111724 20150125_111729 20150125_111753 20150125_113856 20150125_114601 20150125_123248 20150125_123252 20150125_134532 20150125_134535 20150125_134541 20150125_134705 20150125_135106 20150125_135114 20150125_161127 20150125_161135 20150125_162746 20150125_163252 20150125_163347 20150126_144901This weekend, our studio along with some of the group members from the Clemson’s Solar Decathlon team, worked on constructing the kitchen structure for the Crop Stop 2 project. With a total of 18 hours of daylight, we worked intensively collaborating between three groups. A group of graduate students were giving instructions, noting changes and efficiency  and feeding the parts to a group of students assembling the structure. The third group of students worked on applying any changes needed to the parts and physically changing and re-cutting some of the modified parts. A day before the arrival of the parts, our studio team constructed a foundation base for the floor joists to sit on. The weather conditions were not optimal with heavy rain, and some of the students creatively resorted to creating raincoats out of large trash bags. Even the rain didn’t stop us from building! The next day once the other group of students arrived, we were able to quickly upload the puzzle like structural system and organize the parts based on the numbers. As the we started building, we discovered a few problems with the floor frame, but that was quickly modified drilling more screws, allowing the wood to fit together with a greater precision. The three group system seemed to be working, and as the directions kept coming, we were able to assemble all of the floor joists in 18 minutes. It was exciting to see a structure raised up so quickly! Learning new tools also came with it, using the zip-tie gun as a method for joinery was new to me, and surprising how strong the connections were after tightening. The next day, we started by connecting the roof pieces together. The process seemed efficient and quick, if it wasn’t for the fact that we noticed that even the weight of the three girls standing on top of some of the parts to clamp them down and drill through, was not enough. We noticed gaps between the parts and had to re-drill with some help of our guy classmates. Finally putting together the walls might have been the most complicated. Some of the parts did not fit and more modifications had to be made. However, once the walls were assembled raising them up and fitting them into the floor spaces was very quick and easy. It was fascinating to see how a simple lock in system for joints of the walls and the roof worked effectively and  easily. The collaboration between the students and team work over the weekend was great!


Leave a Reply