So here we are, down to the wire. The class has just met with Charleston’s design review committee, and seeing that we have been given the go-ahead under the assumption that the plug can be pulled anytime for safety concerns, we begin to build.
So today we accomplished various tasks, such as material accumulation and structural support modifications. But even before we could even build the parts of the actual structure, we had to build the jigs and templates necessary for correct construction. Here we can see that Andrew is working on the bridge that will span the fountain and provide a walk through.
As we begin our build, it is easy for me as a student to see why we did so much research and testing. A lot of the nuances that we figured out earlier in the semester came up today. All those cracked bamboo stalks and broken wooden pins were not in vein. Now, we do the job quicker, easier, and more efficient.
Thats good news considering this thing has to be built by the end of next week. We are going to need all of the experience we have attained this semester, plus some to get this thing finished, but I have no doubt that our class can do it.
Now that we are finally building the structure, I can’t help but be excited. All those long hours at shop will be worth it when we finally get to walk across that bridge and enjoy the fruits of our labor.